I used to be intimidated by grilling, but after some trial and error, I really enjoy it! I always like to make fun meals on Friday or Saturday because we have a little bit more time. My husband Paul loves grilling too, so we switch off!
One of my favorite cuts of meat to grill is flank steak. I love it because it is so easy to grill, takes very little time, and tastes great! This grilled flank steak sandwich is AWESOME! I have adapted this recipe from Kathy Strahs cookbook “The Ultimate Panini Press Cookbook“, which I love. She cooks this sandwich on her panini press, which you totally could do if you don’t have access to a grill.
The first thing I cook in this recipe is the crispy onions. I always make extra because without a doubt you will be “tasting” them as they come out of the pan and so will any other people that pass by in the kitchen. Even some of my kids that don’t care for onions will eat these! I have made this recipe without the onions when I was crunched for time and the sandwich still tasted delicious. But, if you have the time, definitely try these out!
Marinating the meat is essential for maximum flavor in this recipe. You can marinate anywhere from 2-24 hrs on this recipe. The longer you marinate, the more time it gives for the flavors to build and for the meat to tenderize. But, if you forget to marinate early (happens to me a lot) 1-2 hrs will do just fine for this recipe. I recently was reading about Soy Vay’s Teriyaki marinade and decided to give it a try. I always taste any sauces or marinades I buy from a bottle before I put it on anything. The Soy Vay’s tasted great! There are no preservatives in this marinade, which is a bonus!
As far as the pineapple, we sprinkle ours with a little dark brown sugar and hot spice like cayenne and grill it on the grill, however, this is optional! If you haven’t tried grilled fruit, I would give it a try! If you don’t care for grilled fruit, then just slice fresh pineapple or use canned. We also grill the bread with the pineapple, which is super easy and gives it a great texture and flavor!
The marinated flank steak, teriyaki mayo, grilled pineapple, cilantro, and crispy onions make a mouth full of IN YOUR FACE awesome!
This sandwich is messy, fun, and full of flavor! With sandwiches, you can leave out or add in whatever you like! If you have small kids, 1 sandwich will probably feed 2! I will sometimes just eat it without the bread depending on my mood and how hungry I am. If bread isn’t in your diet, then you could make this into a salad!
When you try this delicious goodness, please leave your feedback or comments below! I would love to hear from you!
Delicious Grilled Flank steak sandwich with loads of flavor including pineapple, teriyaki mayonnaise, and crispy fried onions!
1–1.5 lbs of flank steak
1 cup of Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade
1/4 cup of pineapple juice (fresh or canned)
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1/2 cup Mayo (I use Kewpie Asian Mayo, but regular works too!)
1–2 TB Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce
1/2 Tsp grated ginger
Crispy Fried Onions:
1/2–1cup Vegetable Oil
1 pint of buttermilk
1 cup flour
Salt/pepper to taste
2 sweet onions peeled, halved, and sliced very thin
Ciabatta bread or 4-6 rolls
Fresh Pineapple (cut into rings) or canned pineapple
Teriyaki Mayonaisse (from above)
Chopped Cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
Crispy Fried Onions (optional)
Marinated Flank Steak
- In a bowl, whisk the Teriyaki marinade, pineapple juice, and ginger. Place the flank steak in a large gallon Ziploc bag or a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the steak and make sure it fully covers the meat. Put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours but up to 24 hrs.
Crispy Fried Onions
- Soak and submerge the sliced onions in a bowl with the buttermilk, salt/pepper for about 10-15 min
- Heat vegetable Oil to about 375° or when a pinch of flour sizzles
- Using tongs, shake onions to drip off excess buttermilk and dredge in flour immediately.
- Fry onions tossing or flipping as needed until browned. This won’t take long, maybe 3-5 minutes.
- Put on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayo, teriyaki marinade sauce (from the bottle, not the marinade from the meat), and minced ginger. Put in fridge until ready to serve.
Grilled Flank Steak
- Pull the flank steak from the marinade and place on the grill
- Grill for about 10-15 minutes, turning once (about halfway) until desired doneness or a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest area of the meat registers 125°.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil, and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. While meat is resting, make grilled pineapple and bread.
- After resting, thinly slice the steak going against the grain and serve.
Grilled Bread and Pineapple
- Heat a grill (or Panini Press) on medium-high heat (takes about 10 min).
- Peel your pineapple and slice pineapple into 1/4 inch thick slices, removing the core with a paring knife. Coat the pineapple with a flavor of choice. I use dark brown sugar and a little cayenne.
- Cut your Ciabatta bread into halves
- Coat the grates with a little oil or use a grill mat and put the bread and pineapple slices on the grill until toasted about 3-5 minutes, flipping them halfway
Spread teriyaki mayonnaise onto the grilled bread slices and layer sandwich as desired!