I recently went to a website and looked up the nutrition facts in pre-packaged and deli sandwich meats like ham, turkey, chicken, etc. Yikes! The sodium is super high and there is a lot of added stuff I didn’t recognize. Not only that, I find deli meat to be expensive. I decided to buy a boneless turkey breast and make my own. I bought a 3lb turkey breast for $8.99!
This is much cheaper than what you buy at the deli counter or in the packages. I used our Adams Select Burger seasoning because that was what I had and it turned out really tasty and all 4 of my kids liked it! SCORE! You could really use any seasoning that you like. We used the leftover turkey to make a homemade Turkey Pot Pie, which was another winner!
I get that buying sandwich meat pre-packaged or at the deli counter is super convenient, but I encourage you to at least give it a try making your own! You could even try it in your InstantPot or CrockPot. I used my mandoline to slice it super thin, but if you don’t have one you can just use a knife and thinly slice it.
- 1 Boneless Turkey Breast (about 3lbs)
- 1 TB Adams Select Burger Seasoning (Not just for burgers!) **SEE NOTES**
- Olive Oil
- 1–2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 2 TB Unsalted cubed Butter
- Thaw Turkey Breast (if frozen) in the fridge for 24-48 hrs. depending on size.
- Heat oven to 350°
- Take breast out of the packaging, rinse and dry, and throw out any giblets or gravy packets. Leave the netting on.
- Line an 8×8 glass dish with foil or parchment paper
- Put rinsed/dried breast in and drizzle olive oil all around breast (top and bottom) and rub in (I use my hands).
- Sprinkle the Adams Select seasoning, pepper all over (top and bottom) until it is liberally covered. Place 2TB cubed butter on top of the breast
- Place turkey on middle rack in the oven and cook 1.5-2hrs or until a meat thermometer reaches 165-170°
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut netting off and put in the fridge. When ready to slice, use a mandoline or serrated knife to cut your sandwich meat to desired thickness.
- Refrigerate or freeze what you don’t use.
- I haven’t tried the InstantPot but I am sure it would work great!
- If you don’t have or don’t want to use the Adam’s Burger seasoning you could season it however you like! You could play around with many flavors such as fresh herbs and garlic, Sriracha and honey, etc..