- 2–3 cups of Brussel Sprouts (I cut ends off and chop in quarters)
- ~1TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use California Olive Ranch)
- 1 cup of baby bella mushrooms sliced (stems removed)
- 1–2 Shallots diced
- ~1TB Butter or Margarine
- Grated or shredded Parmesan Cheese (I buy it fresh as a block and grate it with parmesan cheese hand grinder )
- Optional Topping: Cooked crumbled Bacon (When I want to splurge!)
- Optional Topping: minced herbs such as thyme, basil, or oregano
- Heat oven to 375. If using bacon, cook bacon in medium skillet. While that is cooking, quarter brussel sprouts (so some leaves come loose) on cutting board and put them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle Olive Oil over brussel sprouts and sprinkle salt/pepper evenly over them. Using hands or tongs, toss sprouts so they become evenly covered
- Put pan in oven (middle rack) and roast until brown and leaves crispy for about 15-20 min, tossing halfway with a spatula.
- While the sprouts are cooking, finish cooking bacon and discard grease from skillet and put cooked bacon on a paper towel lined plate to the side. Slice the mushrooms and dice the shallots. Put about 1TB of butter or olive oil in same skillet from bacon and sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 5-6 minutes. Turn off heat and set to side.
- When Brussels sprouts are at desired doneness, pull them out of the oven and mix them with mushrooms in a serving bowl. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon (if splurging) over and serve immediately.
***Do your kids not like Brussels sprouts or mushrooms? Ours don’t like mushrooms! But my husband and I love them, so I cook them frequently and try to tell them how healthy they are and give them lots of encouragement when they do! They now actually like Brussels sprouts and we are working on mushrooms!
***You could add fresh minced thyme, basil, or oregano to this if you want some extra flavor!
***Instead of Parmesan you could use any other cheese. I sometimes also use herbed goat cheese!